Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Abstract Photography || Black & White Film



I was able to take the subjects out of context and create abstract images by tilting different mirrors into each other and by creating structures out of the mirrors. I used pieces of glass to both hold the mirrors in their place and to distort the images even more. The glass also offered an opportunity to capture more shades of lights and darks from the reflection of the sun. Glass also bent the rays a bit which balanced the hard lines of the mirror reflections. The perspectives I shot the photos from add to the abstractism of scene. It forces the viewer to really look hard to figure out exactly what he/she is looking at. 
From my first film assignment to this, I feel like my compositional skills grew. Now I feel like I pay more attention to not only the subject’s placement, but how the light plays into it. I feel like I subconsciously look for a motley of values. In the dark room, I felt less confused and I think that my focussing skills grew. I used a different camera than I was used to and I believe that alone required that my technical work grew. I think it did and now I would be able to use a few different cameras if I needed to.
Through this assignment and the film assignment before, I learned more about manual settings on both SLRs and DSLRs. I think the different cameras I used in both the assignments was a great introduction to the world of film. Before this class, I had never used a film SLR and had no clue what the importance of shutter speed and aperture was on a photo. I feel very comfortable in the dark room and almost completely comfortable with manual settings. Compositionally, on both assignments, I learned how to shoot in black and white in an appropriate way. Paying attention to light and shades and not colors and shadows was a challenge that I feel I conquered in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment